Monday, November 11, 2013

Fasten your masks before helping others...

I read an article a few weeks ago that really hit home. I am a member of our Church's facebook group and get regular emails. Often I don't really read through them, but this one caught my attention. It is also ironic that the premise of the article is based off of the airlines and that's a big part of our families life and which is also is the factor that makes this harder for me to do. The point of the articles is " Put your mask on before helping others". The articles compares this to being a parent; If you don't take care of yourself you become incapable of helping others.


 As a parent, specifically a mother, we are so inclined to help our child first. I strive to make my daughter, and soon to be daughter happy, doing whatever it takes. Even being pregnant with my child sick  in the hospital for three days, I cuddled with Ela against the advisement of all the doctors and nurses as she was highly contagious. The love that you experience for your child, as well as the pain and joy that you feel is unexplainable until you become a mother.  I understand the article is not speaking directly to this effect, but more so about how as Mothers' we need to take a quick time out to ourselves, make sure we are eating and sleeping. Loving your little ones so much makes this seem like an impossible feat. If we are not 100%, how are we supposed to take care of the little ones that depend so much on us?

I will openly admit that I struggle with this. My husband has been blessed with a job that is truly his passion; not many can say that. At times it was very hard on our family. With both companies that he has worked for, he had to go to an initial training for 6 weeks. In another state, and not being together for an extended period of time was HARD. The first time he was gone, I ended up in the hospital and the second time Ela. That's the law of averages right? Up until recently, when he changed companies, my husband was traveling 3-5 days a week.Add a working mom into the mix and we were a recipe for busy. The only way to do it was a regimented schedule. Switching jobs could not have come at a better time now expecting our second child. He is home most days now as he is based out of Laguardia airport, and usually goes to work in the morning and is home in the evening!(THANK GOODNESS). I almost feel like he has a "normal" job.Even when he is home, I still find it hard to steal "me time" and there is always something to be done. I have caught 3 colds during this pregnancy. A pregnant women, taking care of a sick toddler, while being sick myself is NO fun. I truly need to make it a priority to make sure that I am taking care of myself so I am able to not only to provide for my children, but also my husband. I often wonder if this is even possible, but then the reality hits that if I don't make this a priority then my children do not get me at my best. This has happened many times, a few of which I shared What does not kill you, makes you Stronger , and Speak up Mommy .

Reading this article is nothing new, but maybe something that I really needed to be reminded of. With our second little girl due any day, I am not sure if this will get any easier to achieve, but I will for sure be making it a priority.








No comments:

Post a Comment