Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Parenting Fail #1

I am sitting here today writing a blog because I used a sick day to take Ela to the doctor... Poor girl caught my cold on top of teething and another isolated incident(my fault) which I will get to in a minute.  All of this got me thinking. Growing up as a kid when you are old enough to understand what is going on, you think "how could my parents do that to me" or many things along those lines including embarrassing you, making mistakes etc. What you don't even think about before you have kids of your own is the times your parents had hard times or did crazy things and you don't remember because you were so young. Especially as a new parent I am sure glad that babies don't remember much! With the day I had yesterday I am so glad Ela wont know how bad I messed her up! ;) I am sure I will tell her or she will read my blog and we will both laugh, but I am glad she wont remember.

Here  is the timeline of my events yesterday.

5:12am- Ela wakes up "Mama Mama" - Put that paci in her mouth back to bed for both of us
6:00am - Just kidding we are both up and Ela gets her bottle while I get ready for the day.
9:00am - Drop Ela off at Helen's(the nanny) realize I forgot diapers
10:15am - Run to Target to buy diapers; They are out of Huggies size 3 so I try Target brand. <I could have bought Pampers but I thought it I am going to try something new why dont I try the ones that are $4 less...I could be on to something.>
5:30pm- Helen calls and Ela has been screaming since 4:00pm
5:31pm - Go pick Ela up and boy is she screaming bloody murder.As we are passing Ela between myself and Helen's arms I realize she cries harder when we touch her bottom.
6:18pm-Open her diaper and she is covered in a blistery rash. She is allergic to Target brand diapers. <I am definitely a contender for the mom of the year award> Sink bathe her, decide to bring her home with no diaper.(Disaster averted...for now)
7:25pm Get home. Put bottle in sink turn on hot water to heat up. Leave water running as I always do. Take off Ela's clothes getting her ready for bath.Put her in bath she screams hysterical(Normally she loves baths) Her poor bottom hurts.Screams for the rest of the bath.Yanks at least 2 chuncks out of my hair as she is fighting the tub.
7:30pm Struggling to get her dressed(this is daily) as she is a wiggler. Trying to put lotion on for her eczema and Destin for her bottom. Destin tube ends up all over bed. Put her clothes on and put her on floor to play while I go get bottle. She is screaming.
7:31pm Notice Ela is soaking wet?!?! And so is the floor!! The sink was backed up and there is an inch of water all over the living room,kitchen, hall and outside hallway.
7:40pm Grabbing every towel and blanket I can find while Ela is crawling through the water. Have  to prevent the water from going downstairs to the neighbors.Ela is still screaming. At this point the neighborshave to be wondering what is going on.
8:15pm We are not soaked anymore...Just a happy medium between soaked and wet. 15 towels will need to be washed tomorrow. Finally give Ela her bottle after crying for a few minutes and struggling to change her once again.
8:20pm She falls asleep while holding her unfinished bottle.Very Very Unusual but 20 minutes past her normal bed time. Take out bottle, put paci in and start to walk away. I hear "Mama, Mama". Walk over to pack and play and she just smiled as to say what a crappy day we had. I picked her up kissed her and she went right back to sleep.I cried like a baby. Not sure if it was becuase of the series of events or becuase her sweet smile made my day.

That's the other thing I have learned as a parent. Little moments like that make it all ok. I know she will never remember this but even if she did I am sure she would understand and maybe even laugh with me. All things aside it is pretty funny seeing your 8 month old crawling through water in your living room.

This morning I woke up after being up with Ela a couple times last night because she was coughing and decided to take her to the doctor. No longer than 5 minutes later she pooped all over me and we both had to take another bath. It never ends! In the end I still love being her Mom and that's all that matters :)

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment