Friday, January 31, 2014

2nd Time Mommy

On Tuesday my Maternity Leave will end. I am sad for many reasons. One, I know this will be our last child, pregnancy etc. The other reason  is that I really enjoyed my maternity leave. Its not to say I didn't the first time but I was very overwhelmed as a new mom. 

Here are the things I did differently this time around.  I highly recommend all new moms do the same. 


  •  In the hospital, I let the nurses take Julia so I could get some sleep. Returning home to a toddler and a newborn, I was going to need all the defenses I could get. 
  • I got out of the house EVERY day. Even in the 7 degree weather I made a point to get out. Most days I had the baby in tow. Don't worry she was more than bundled. It was good for the post baby body and the mind to get a walk in.
  • I snuggled, cuddled and did not worry about "spoiling" Julia. I even picked up her up to snuggle when she was quiet.
  • I had girl time and play dates. I was very lucky that three, yes three, of my friends were on maternity leave at the same time. We had wine lunch dates with the little ones(taking advantage of the sleeping time), coffee play dates and lots of fun. It is nice to just relax and get to hang out with someone who is going through the same thing. 


  • I have not one, but two little girls. Julia spent most days in her jammies or a onsie. I was so excited with Ela ,that each day she had on a new outfit and bow. Maybe I am just too tired but it did not happen this time. We are lucky if she got a fresh outfit daily.

  • I slept while she slept! I know this is cardinal rule of new motherhood...but I actually did it. Its very easy when you have a good sleeper on your hands!


  • I did not give Julia a bath every day...Sometimes it even went 2-3 days. The winter was rough and frankly she was just not a spitting up baby! Plus babies really don't need a daily bath!

  • I worked out. This has nothing to do with loosing weight. Actually, I did not weigh myself until my 6 week post pardum appt. A goal of mine is to run a 5K on Mothers Day and continue to run. I think running is one of the best ways to steal 30-40 min of "me" time.


  • Finally, I let the whole having a perfectly clean house go. I think its an impossible feat with two little ones.Why spend all day cleaning for Ela to come home and mess it up? (Trust me it was not super messy but I learned to let the small things go) 

No comments:

Post a Comment