Saturday, August 17, 2013

What's in Our Pantry?

I have never been food conscious in the past. I have been lucky enough to eat whatever I wanted for most of my life and not gain weight(other than a brief time of the onset of my hypothyroidism). With that being said I never really watched what I ate, especially in my college years. I will honestly admit that the first time in my life I began to care what I ate, was when Ela started eating solids. I made her eat healthy and then it became a habit for myself and Tomasz to eat healthier. Society, especially living in NY has made it much easier. If you are not familiar, restaurants in NYC are required to post calories on the menu. Additionally there are bans are sodas and juices larger than 12 ounces. I was never big into McDonald's, but after seeing a menu with calories, I don't think I stepped foot in one in the 3 years that we lived here.

 I was talking to my Mom one day and telling her how much I just spent on groceries....Her response was " You feed Ela expensive foods"; This is the truth. This also probably answer the question why I did not eat healthier in my college years. A few months later, after getting bored in our rut of the same meals, I began to think about what I ate as a child. Some of the things I ate as a child I would NEVER feed Ela today. This was not because my parents, specifically my Mom were not doing the very best that they could for us, but just rather a lack of knowledge on the part of society. Sugary cereals were all the rage, the more chocolaty the better. I remember eating salads with ice berg lettuce which has no nutritional value; the word Kale was a foreign language at this point. No one knew how much sodium was in processed packaged foods, or rather who cared. I had not eaten an avocado until I was in my 20's. Even though not nutritionally related, but a great example, when I was pregnant with Ela my grandmother asked around 4 months if I stopped drinking yet. She said that she stopped around 6 months! 6 months! Are you kidding? Again 50 years ago who knew what we know now?

I am not as savvy with Meal Planning as some of my fellow bloggers are. I strive to be, but I am just not there yet. I have committed to not feeding Ela anything out of a package. I do not even worry about the fat content as much as I worry about sodium. We eat Mac and Cheese, I boil whole wheat veggie added pasta, throw some cheese and a little half and half and have a much healthier version. When I make pasta I shred veggies and sneak 2 cups in. Banana bread with Greek yogurt is a staple which also has hidden carrots and zucchini. 

It amazing how much society has become informed and changed over the years. Although useful the days of the microwave are fading away. I thought I would share my favorite  foods or recipes that are staples in our house!

GREEK YOGURT- My little yogurt snob will not even eat regular yogurt. She LOVES Greek Yogurt and Chobani has helped to make this much easier with great flavors!
COCONUT WATER- This is a new addition to our household staples... Especially being pregnant and with a few  summer viruses. It has AMAZING nutrients and health benefits even in little servings.
HIDDEN VEGGIE PASTA- We have to get our veggies snuck in since Ela is not a huge veggie gal! Paired with  2 cups of veggies snuck into pasta sauce and meatballs and she gets her daily servings.
SQUEEZERS! How did our parents live without these? It makes feeding fruits and veggies so much easier Happy Tot is more expensive but with added nutrients and allot of veggies snuck in.I always look to make sure apple is not the main ingredient which it can be in other brands.
Kids health-Banana bread-
We sub Greek yogurt and add a cup of shredded carrots and a cup of zucchini(with skin) A healthier snack to cure the sweetest sweet tooth.

RASPBERRIES! This has always been a favorite of mine, but Ela has taken these to a whole new level. If I let her, she would eat a container in one setting.

 AVOCADO- When Ela was going through her picky stage and she would not eat this is my go to! She could eat a half an avocado for dinner and I still felt while it was not a complete meal pretty close with protein antioxidants and good fats.


Now here comes the honesty.... Many of you that know me well know my obsession with ICE CREAM. Trust me... That has not changed and it must be hereditary because Ela shares the same love. My taste buds have just gotten snobbier with some of my favorite flavors!


Not the healthiest but at least its quality!

What are some of your favorite foods for your family?!













No comments:

Post a Comment